USPS or the United States Post Service is an independent agency of the US government that provides postal services in the United States. In 2013, it had over 200,000 vehicles and as of January 2014, it has more than 600,000 workers. USPS operates the largest civilian fleet all over the world and is legally bound to serve all Americans regardless of geography at the same price and quality of services.
Aside from having access to letter boxes marked with U.S. mail and personal letter boxes in the U.S., USPS partners with the Department of Defense in operating a postal system in delivering mails for the military; known as the Army Post Office (for the Army and Air Force) and the Fleet Post Office ( for Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard).
The post office will not deliver packages weighing more than 72 pounds or 32kg and if package dimensions (the length combined with the girth) exceeds the maximum of 108 inches. As of April 2011, USPS domestic postal services include the following:
Priority Mail Express
Guaranteed overnight delivery to most locations
- Sunday and holiday delivery available with additional charges
- Tracking and $100 insurance included
- Flat rate envelopes and boxes are freely available. Pricing largely depends on the shipment’s weight and distance.
Day specific deliver from 1-3 days
- Flat rate envelopes and boxes are available. Pricing largely depends on the weight, size, and distance
- Tracking and insurance included. $50 insurance for retail and $100 insurance for commercial
First Class Mail
- 2-3 days delivery for letters and small packages
- Rate is based on weight and size but not the distance
- Recommended for large and heavy packages
- The cheapest service with the slowest delivery date depending on location
- Rate is based on the weight, size, and distance
- Free forwarding if the recipient changes address or if the package is undelivered
- Shipment of books and recorded media but not advertising materials
- Rate is based on weight
- Price is lower than theStandard Post due to heightened restrictions on the package content
- Same as Media Mail but cheaper and limited only to public libraries, museums, academic institutions, etc.
For undelivered mails or packages without return addresses, you can recover them at Mail Recovery Center in Atlanta, Georgia or Saint Paul, Minnesota.